Wednesday, July 8, 2009

I still got it

So it's been a while since my last post, sorry I know how much everyone loves it.  Kinda busy with little miss Landri, work, vacation, and my tennis comeback.  Landri is doing great incase you were wondering.  But today we are going to focus on my tennis comeback.

  I've been back playing for about a year and half now I think.  Everything has been going fine just getting out and getting some exercise and having a good time like I should be.  I decided that after playing in a few tournaments here and there that I was having a good time playing again and joined a men's 4.0 team that played out of Huntington Tennis Club. When this team got put together we thought that we had a very good team that could probably compete at a very high level.  In our area we had to beat Chillicothe, Oh, and Ashland, KY, which we did.  So since we won our section we qualified to play in Louisville the last weekend in June.  Again up until now I'm still having a good time and enjoying the friendly competition.  

Once we got to Louisville and I stepped on the court in our first match it was like my overly competitive side from juniors and college came out.  If you have seen this side of me it's rather interesting, lots of screaming and a bunch of flying objects (rackets, water bottles, and anything else I could get my hands on).  I played doubles in my first match and after lots of yelling and nothing being thrown we won.  I did however disturb half of Louisville with some loud yelling at myself.  Brooke went and was walking Landri around this park and from very far away was able to hear my "battle cry".  She then came over and asked if that was me and when they told her it was she just shook her head and probably asked herself how she ended up with this whack job of a husband.  

The second match we played in was against Lexington, who we had some problems with earlier in our season.  They filed a grievance against me saying I cheated by self rating myself as a 4.0.  I got cleared of all charges because I worked the system.  So in this match we won 5-0 and of course I had to make sure that I knew that they filed the grievance against me.  When shaking hands at the end of the match I told the guy who filed the grievance against me "Hey buddy how bout you file a grievance against me now!"  This completely caught him off guard because he obviously hadn't heard of how big of a jerk I can be.  He then asked me if I wanted the ball to turn back into the official's desk and I politely informed him that he should keep the ball and let everyone know that he met me and he could keep it as a souvenir.  

We then went on to win our semifinal match and again got a little chippy with the guys we were playing against.  For some reason they felt the need to mock some of my screaming.  I didn't appreciate this so we beat the heck out of them 5-0 too.  I didn't get to play in the finals because we had to fly to the beach for family vacation the next day but we won and now go to Birmingham, Alabama to play in the Southerns, if we win there we go to nationals in Las Vegas.

But this all leads me to the question of when if ever will I not be crazy competitive.  I think some people enjoy my antics but I think most people find me very annoying.  I don't mind annoying people though.  I some what enjoy it really.  I have however decided during my comeback that I'm going to have to find something else to throw because it doesn't appear that rackets are made like they used to be.  Right before we left for Louisville while practicing I managed to throw a racket from the service line to the fence in the air and broke a racket.  Breaking rackets sucks when you have to pay for them yourself.  My temper tantrums were more fun on Mom and Dad's dime.

No comments:

Post a Comment